Thursday, April 7, 2011

Taco Soup Goodness



Taco soup is pretty new to my rotation of comfort foods. I’ve had many different varieties! All contain different ingredients or embellishments. I say just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot and cook it! It’s probably bound to come out edible..

I’ve adapted this recipe many times. I’ve made it with ground beef, and thrown some Rotel in the mix; I’ve also omitted Rotel and just used a couple of cans of diced tomatoes. Every time I make it it always comes out different.

The wanted to cater the last batch I made more towards the Weight Watchers program I’ve been following. I used chicken instead of ground beef, I also omitted the can of corn I would normally put into the soup. Since Weight Watchers seems to be very carb-based I decided that if I didn’t add corn, I could add corn chips! I wouldn’t miss the corn, but the corn chips will add texture and flavor. It was a major success!

Here is the recipe I use:

1lb cooked ground beef, or boiled shredded chicken breast.
1 can of no salt added diced tomatoes (trust me you’ll be putting enough salt in here)
1 can of Rotel (mmm Rotel…)
1 package of low-sodium taco mix (here’s the salt)
1 package of Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix (here’s more salt!)

Sometimes I get fancy when I’m feeling less lazy and sauté an onion and garlic in a little olive oil before cooking.

Basically dump all of that into a pot, you may need to add a can-full of water depending on how soupy you want your soup. Serve with corn chips, cheese, and sour cream! NOMNOMNOM!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good! I'm trying to get healthy as well. I put up an oatmeal recipe on my blog. It's really low calorie but fills you up pretty well.

    ReplyDelete